Fields of Research
The fields of research covered by the IMPRS will encompass different areas of physics, chemistry, mathematics & computer science, and material science, organised in four specialist subjects:
- Atomic Physics and Quantum Optics
- Solid State Physics and Material Science
- Quantum Information Theory
- Quantum Many-Body Physics
There are common, overarching scientific lines of research that unite several of the above fields, including:
- Light-matter interfaces: cavity QED, large Coulomb systems, single emitters, non-classical light, quantum networks, and quantum repeaters.
- Information processing: quantum circuits, quantum memories, NMR, error correction, channels, algorithms, tomography, quantum control, topological quantum computation, decoherence, open systems.
- Communication: cryptography, multipartite entanglement, quantum repeaters, protocols.
- Many-body systems: ultracold quantum gases, atoms in optical lattices, quantum phases of matter, topological matter, quantum transport, quantum simulation, disordered systems, numerical methods, non-equilibrium quantum dynamics, and tensor network techniques.
- Quantum technologies: nanofabrication, quantum chip design, optoelectronic systems, quantum sensing.